Introducing the GLODERM Trainee Committee
The GLODERM Trainee Committee (GTC), previously iDerm Global, was formed in early 2020, when a group of dermatology trainees came together with a shared vision. The Committee members wanted to find solutions to disruptions in training due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as create more equal educational opportunities for those training to become dermatologists anywhere in the world.
Committee members include:
- Chair: Dr Sidra Khan (Trainee, UK)
- Secretary: Dr Doriane Sabushimike (Trainee, Tanzania)
- General Committee members and session faciltators: Dr Josep Riera (Dermatologist, Spain), Dr Bayanne Olabi (Trainee, UK), Dr Refentse Thobye (Trainee, South Africa)
- Website and Social Media (Mr Aakaash Varma, Medical student, USA), Dr Krystal Mitchell (Trainee, USA)
- Senior committee advisors: Prof Ncoza Dlova (South Africa), Prof Mini Singh (UK), Dr Roni Dodiuk-Gad (Israel)
The GLODERM Trainee Committee’s goal is to promote knowledge equity by improving access to education for dermatology trainees across the world. It aims to provide free educational events and opportunities to build networks and to collaborate. By improving educational opportunities for trainees, the Committee hopes to empower future generations of leaders in dermatology around the world.
As part of this, the GLODERM Training Committee is hosting free dermatological monthly webinars on Zoom. The first of which took place on 13 September 2020 and was led by Prof Ncoza Dlova and Dr Refentse Thobye from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. This session consisted of a case presentation on Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia (CCCA) and Female Pattern Hair Loss (FPHL) as well as a Q&A session. The webinar had 88 participants and was truly global, with individuals join from all five continents.
In addition to the monthly webinars, the GLODERM Trainee Committee has plans to develop other types of educational events, such as virtual journal clubs and a mentorship scheme.
Upcoming webinars for 2020:
- 11 October 2020: Psoriasis with Prof. Chris Griffiths, Dr Mel Page & Dr Gaurav Dhawan from the United Kingdom
- 8 November 2020: Deep Fungal Infections with Prof. Nathalie Lascano, Dr Luis Escalante & Dr Astrid Maldonado from Ecuador
- 13 December 2020: Albinism with Prof. Daudi Mavura & Dr Doriane Sabushimike from Tanzania
Upcoming topics and speakers for 2021:
- January: Severe Cutaneous Adverse Drug Reactions with Prof. Chia-Yu Chu from Chinese Taipei
- February: Pigmentary Disorders with Dr. Seemal Desai from the USA
- March: Cutaneous Tuberculosis and Non-Tuberculous Mycobacterial infections with Dr Janaka Akarawita from Sri Lanka
If you are interested in attending one of the webinars or joining the mailing list, please register at https://gloderm.org/
GLODERM is supported by the International Foundation for Dermatology (IFD).