The Board of Directors is the governing body of the ILDS. The Board has 2 types of elected Directors: Regional Directors and International Directors.
We invite ILDS Members to elect new representatives for each four-year term.Regional Directors
There are 10 Regional Directors, 2 for each ILDS Region:
- Asia Pacific
- Latin American and the Caribbean
- South Asia, the Middle East and Africa
- USA and Canada.
At least half the Regional Directors (1 from each Region) will change at every election.
- Each Member Society (excluding Affiliated Member Societies and Observer Member Societies) can nominate 2 people from their Region for each vacancy. At least 1 of the nominated people for each vacancy must live in a different country to where the Society is based. The exception to this rule is the USA and Canada, as there are only 2 countries in that region.
- These nominations form a longlist of all candidates. Each Member Society can then vote electronically for up to 3 of the candidates for each vacancy in their Region.
- The top 3 candidates for each Regional vacancy will then form a shortlist.
- The shortlist will be published on the ILDS website and sent to all ILDS Member organisations before the 1st Assembly of Delegates meeting.
- All Delegates will vote on the shortlist at the 1st Assembly of Delegates meeting. The candidate with the most votes will be elected to fill each Regional Director vacancy.
There are 5 International Directors.
- All Member Societies and Affiliated Member Societies (excluding Observer Member Societies) can nominate 2 people who live in 2 different countries.
- These nominations will form a longlist of all candidates.
- ILDS Board Members will meet and choose 3 candidates for each International Director vacancy to form a shortlist. This will happen after the Regional Directors have been chosen at the 1st Assembly of Delegates meeting. This shortlist will take into account the need for the ILDS Board to be well balanced with global representation.
- All Delegates will vote on the shortlist at the 2nd Assembly of Delegates meeting. The candidate with the most votes will be elected to fill each International Director vacancy.
The first Board Meeting to include the new Directors will take place the day after the 2nd Assembly of Delegates meeting.